Tuesday, 6 February 2007

Losing my blogging virginity...a scary experience indeed!

Blame Tom Reynolds for my existence on here. Over the last four days I have read his entire blog, from start to finish, whilst managing to attend the odd lecture, get a little sleep and occasionally eat. His is the first blog I've ever read and I'm in awe, not just of Tom's writing (which is fantastic), but of the concept of blogging in general, being a blog virgin myself. What strikes me is that it's odd to know more about a strangers life over the last few years than I know about the lives of some of my closest friends. I almost feel as if I have broken into his house, stolen his diary, and read it. But I feel a little better knowing that this particular diary was in fact handed to me, as a kind of favour, and has helped me for reasons I'll go into sometime or another.To be honest I don't really know what I'm doing here and I feel out of my comfort zone. I feel that my first blog entry should be good, but my writing powers (*cough*) and imagination seem to abandoned me. I could wait a few days for inspiration, but I have time to kill now. I could travel the traditional "why I've started blogging" route, but I'd prefer to do something a little more interesting with my first ever blog post (I don't wish to look back on this and cringe at it's monotony...having a laugh at its stupidity on the other hand would be much better), but what is that something? I could write about myself (the subject I know the most about), but I think I'll be doing rather a lot of that on here, so it would be nice if this post was more inventive, after all I hope I have many years of "its-all-me-me-me" posts ahead of me. I could start by writing what I see out of my window: a prison, a cinema, cars, train tracks...all positively thrilling. Great start Rhi (note: I have a bad habit referring to myself in third person), you've managed to write two paragraphs of meandering bollocks.I'd forgotten how tough writing can be, I've now much respect for bloggers who write enthralling stuff each and every day. And here's me struggling to find something to say in my first blog entry when others are still going strong after thousands. Maybe you need an enthralling life to create an enthralling blog? Which is something that, right now, I am not in possession of. Pursuit of (I've applied to both med school and to do a paramedic sciences degree), maybe, but not possession. This needs to change. So what exactly am I, a failing art student (I figure *curses at how easily American phrases have slipped into my vocabulary* talking about myself in these little bits here and there in this post may make me seem less self obsessed), going to write about? Answer: I have absolutely no idea, largely because I have no idea where my life is going to take me. But I hope to goodness it is going to take me somewhere interesting, so at least I can have something noteworthy to put down on here rather than this present drivel.I think it may be worth writing down what I hope to get from doing this (reversal of my previous idea not to do this), so in short I would like: catharsis (my diary serves this purpose too, but it only allows 3 lines per day, and I like to write a lot), perspective, non judgemental advice (something that is more or less only available from a blog, I'm sure there will be plenty of times when I will need advice and hopefully I'll get the odd reader, perhaps not the way I'm going right now though, who will be kind enough to give it), and a record of my past (I don't like forgetting things, especially things that may help me later on in life).Something that I'm undecided about is anonymity. As mentioned previously I wish to train, and eventually work in, health care. Therefore obviously if I mention people and policies etc regarding these in my blog, which is probably inevitable, as they will become a massive part of my life, then I'll have to be extremely careful not to identify them. But as for myself, I'm not so sure. It's not as if I have any deep dark secrets, but it would be nice to write with complete freedom knowing that the chances are no one I know is reading and knowing that the author is me (because, lets face it, we are, myself included, not completely 100% open with people in everyday life and there are things, for many different reasons, that we just don't go into with them). (I just got interrupted by a flatmate wanting me to join them in watching the Jeremy Kyle show (joy), so I took it as an opportunity (as the television is in the kitchen) too put some Yorkshire puds in the over whilst I was there.) I think I'll do the intelligent thing and figure it out as I go along.Another reason for my writing my blog is that if it goes well (depending on whether my writing style improves or not) it should serve as a reasonable record of what is involved, both on a practical and personal level in changing from a young, naive and ignorant school leaver (or diploma in art and design leaver in my case), who has seen little of this life to a fully fledged health worked (be it a paramedic or doctor, on the subject of which: hurry up UCAS, I want to know where my life is heading!) who deals with extremes on a day to day basis. It would be interesting for me, and perhaps others hoping to take a similar life route, to look back on this journey.I think that now would also be a good time to point out, and apologise in advance for, my useless grammar, punctuation and general annoying habits (including using brackets and commas too much, I am aware of these things but seem powerless to stop doing them, as demonstrated by this very sentence). Great stuff, I left the Yorkshire puddings in too long (damn fan assisted ovens!) and they're brown. Humbug.So, enough of the waffling. Tomorrow I may start actual writing. About what, I am not sure... whatever takes my fancy I guess and whatever I naturally lean towards. I can see myself in a few years time laughing at this whole post in a similar manner to how I now laugh at the diary's I wrote when I was 6 or 7 years old. But hopefully it will be a smug laugh with the knowledge that I've actually learned, and more importantly achieved, something since this was written. I've even learned two things already: that I cannot write, and lead an exceedingly dull life. Fabulous.

No comments: